Thursday 27 November 2008

The benefits of long term customer feedback

For one of my programs which isn't doing hugley well, I haven't got many long term customers. However theres one whose well out of his refund period and he regularly asks me for bug fixes.

I find this feedback extremely useful (I'm pleased to do his fixes as it improves the program) and beats all other methods I've got of finding out about bugs.

For a long time I've thought about providing a limited free version of my program as a way for getting this information. For this particular program I intend to produce a PRO version which uses MYSQL. And therefore give it a new name.

So I'm thinking of a new name / site for a free version and a new name / site for a pro version.
And keep my existing site as-is for the in between version.

Hmm although I guess to get a true test I will need a MYSQL free version...

I know mike has said in the past he doesn't think a free version is a good idea.
I know I don't get the traffic I should for the product.
I also know I have lots of bugs and lacking functionality in this program.

So I think these ideas have merit, just need to iron out the issues.

Comments?
PS. Maybe a free version of your prog, Mike, might be good from this angle?

5 comments:

  1. I think free programs have a use in certain
    circumstances - which I'll go into later - but not for my
    main progs. I get few problems (although they are
    weird!) - < 0.1% of purchasers report a problem

    I get loads of feedback anyway - enough to form the
    basis of a whole new version next year - and the number
    of copies I'm selling a month is now into the hundreds. I
    get loads of suggestions for features. Getting the
    feedback is good but sometimes certain people are a bit
    insistent. I feel like telling some people that when they
    bought their car, did they go back to the garage every 3
    months and ask for some extra accessories to be fitted
    for free.

    I do have a free program of course. This is free as I
    didn't think it was professional enough to be commercial
    and I didn't have the time to polish it off back this
    summer. I decided to give it away since I thought I could
    earn money using it as linkbait - both for PAD file
    submissions and getting people to link to the site. Both
    these strategies have worked. If I do ever decide to
    charge, a lot of the link-building/ promotion will already
    be done.

    I'm not sure making something free makes people give
    feedback - although numbers of users will have an
    effect. If people have paid for something they sure let
    you know if there's bits they don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Mike i dont think free versions is a
    good way to collect bug reports as a lot of users will try
    the software and either like it or forget about it and if
    theres a bug i would move onto the next software to try.

    Feedback from paying customers is far better, I think a
    free trial version might be worthwhile but in some cases
    a trial version is all a user needs to be able to get their
    fix and they never end up buying.

    One little trick I used to have up my sleave was self
    competition.

    Mike might find this interesting, basically you take a
    succesful piece of software you then create a clone
    version making it different in ways, then you setup a new
    website and prices and compete in the market.

    This in the past helped me to increase sales and also
    helps to prevent others from joining what looks like a
    crowded market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question...

    Whats the difference between a free, featured limited version with message boxes saying this is not available in the free version AND a trial version with save feature and messages?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks blue - an interesting and clever idea. In the past
    few months I've noticed a competitor do just this with a
    version branded by AvanGate.

    Dipsy - for me a package with messages saying - not
    available in the free version - would put me off as I'd
    want to try out the features and not have to pay for the
    privilege of trying them out.

    I find that a fair percentage of people only want 1 aspect
    of the tools I develop and are quite happy to ignore
    other features. For example, we sell custom templates as
    an after-sales service (for more money :)) and some
    people haggle for a branded template for only 1 of the 6
    items my packages can print/ email etc. With a freebie,
    you might be surprised how many people just stick with
    it and don't pay for the extras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, its something I've through about doing for a number of years. Its something I've not tried. And obviously there are going to be problems.

    But I'm having a hard time changing my mind about this.

    However said this, its not a high priority at the moment.

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete