Friday 28 November 2008

Getting started with the eBay API?

Blues mentioned the eBay API a few times, when he showed me the developers page a year or so ago and I took a look at the code it really put me off. Especially as I'm not that familiar with XMP and my definition of soap is slightly different to his :)

I thought I'd try and write something for my ordering system which would get the fee information. So ultimately I can work out my business level of profit.

So what do I know so far, had a conversation with Blue earlier and he said "its free now and allows 5,000 calls a day and my developer id is currently talking to my live account".

Heres some sample XML.

<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?>

<GetMyMessagesRequest
xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">

<!-- Standard Input Fields -->

<RequesterCredentials>

<eBayAuthToken>xyz</eBayAuthToken>

</RequesterCredentials>

<DetailLevel>ReturnMessages</DetailLevel>

<!-- ... more DetailLevel nodes here ... -->

<ErrorLanguage>en_GB</ErrorLanguage>



<!-- ... more OutputSelector nodes here ..

And "in my app ive created copies of xml files on the docs, then insert my values in vb and make the call".

So I think my first task is to try to get hold of some example code which nearly does what I need. Hopefully I won't have to read through tonnes of documentation to get me going.

by
JM

2 comments:

  1. OK.... I've found this page.

    http://developer.ebay.com/community/featured_projects/?name=code+samples+project

    But I don't think its relevant, the vb.net code in the zip on this page, doesn't show you access your ebay account sales information.

    Blue, can you given me a bunk up ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a chat with Blue the other night I made some further progress and found that the GetSellerTransactions function should show the Final Value Fee. However, looking at the notes about the function,
    it says this value is conditional, so I would need to pass in some further values somewhere.

    ReplyDelete