Saturday 16 August 2008

If you ran a web directory, what would you do?

In a earlier post, the idea was floated about running a web directory. If you did start a web directory, what differences would you make to the directories you've recently been submitting sites too?

For example, what categories would you choose? My natural instinct would be to choose software related categories. Most directories bundle all software into one category, e.g.

[top] -> Computers -> Software

Do you think a finer categorisation would work? For example:

[top] -> Software -> Development Companies

[top] -> Software -> Development Blogs

[top] -> Software -> PHP Scripts

Of course, even if the categories were different to a lot of other directories, would submitters use them and do you think you'd have time to review submissions to check they are appropriate to the categories?

by ML

5 comments:

  1. Well I really need to understand how a directory could benefit me?

    Also How I would use the directory to benefit me the most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point of view I'm asking the question from is really: how would you run a directory to make it useful to visitors?

    If the directory was useful to visitors then you can presume it be successful/ well-used/ well-linked etc. It could then be useful to you - Adsense, nice links etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK.

    I think it makes sense to have finer categorisation.
    I do think people looking for free inbound links from a good source in a related area would use the site, eventually when the site had some good PR. But as you were saying earlier about zero PR sites, people would still use it.

    I don't think I would have the time to review submissions, I don't think the effort involved would reap sufficient benefit to make it worthwhile. After all I have softtester which i could use for this purpose.

    To be honest I don't really understand how directories can produce enough traffic to give good adsense revenue.

    When I posted my question about Directory Sites, I was trying to understand more about them. Running a site would seem very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it would be time-consuming if you wanted to review entries. I think some directories do get traffic but most probably just get people submitting links.

    I think the way they make money is that once they get PR they start selling featured links. A lot probably make very little money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind helping out a bit if you would like to join forces on this.

    Whats your thoughts, are you thinking about setting up a site?

    ReplyDelete