Friday 1 August 2008

Did you ever run Windows with 120 dpi?

Last days an user mailed me an application failure where some text boxes haven't been displayed and some content had been cut and other strange things.

It came out, that he ran Windows in 120dpi mode.

It was kind of strange to me, that my application looks that ugly with this setting. But it was true. I had to adjust some dialogs and controls to fit that mode. What I discovered is, that you have to change your application only in 96dpi mode - otherwise all controls will look ugly when you change windows back to 96dpi mode.

The problem was that I used fixed pixel settings (e.g. 455px left side) for my application. Now I changed everything to use floating grids or table layouts, so that it will adjust automatically.

Only for fun - switch windows to 120 dpi mode, and I'm sure you'll see "unexpected" results.

by GS

3 comments:

  1. 120 dpi ?

    Do you mean font size?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the font size that you can adjust for all windows applications. Right button click on desktop screen, select "Properties" and than change the font size to 120dpi ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... after that you have to restart Windows ...

    ReplyDelete