Tuesday 27 January 2009

Further gamecube and wii, novice tips

Since my last post, I bought a couple of gamecube games and a wireless gamecube controller for my wii.

I'd just like to bring you up-to-date the gamecube (aka gc from here on) and the wii use an powerpc cpu and the core of the wii is the same as the gc. As you'd expect the wii, has slighlty higher spec.

Also the controllers have been changed so that the standard wii controllers are wireless. However there are 4 gc controller ports on the side or the top depending on how you have you wii angled. Theres also 2 gc memory card slots.

Gc games required this memory card to save game data, I bought a 16mb which on various places on the web say that should be more than enough. Which I also bought online for a few quid.

The gc games themselves are quite good, but obviously you don't have the same interaction with games as you have with the wii, as your not throwing yourself around the room trying to hit a ball etc :)

The gc wireless controller I bought is a third party device which i bought of ebay, it cost me £12. However, as I've never seen / played on a gamecube or a gamecube game I had no idea what to expect. Theres a Z button on the controller (all the buttons have letters on them) which in the games I have is kind of like a shift key, which you press to access a menu or use with another keystroke. However on the controller it doesn't hold the Z key when you hold it, it just releases it in the game.

So after much research I discovered that it was faulty.

I contacted the seller and they said it wasn't a fault but was Ok for most games, but he gave me a refund.

So, I'm now left with two options, to pay a fortune for a Nintendo WaveBird wirless controller aka £30 to £40 or buy a wired controller and a couple of extension leads. Although its mentioned on the net that you can buy wavebirds' on ebay for £15 I haven't seen one. Also people say you can accidentally pull for console off if the controller is yanked, in mid game play. (Thinking about how I can secure the end of the cable, hmmm.)

With my 4 year old around I think thats a certainty, having said that I don't have any games which are suitable for him being around, so I guess a wired controller would be OK.

But I would like a wireless one.

However, my wifes borrowing a wired controller from a friend at work today so I should be able to try it tonight, no doubt I will have square eyes from being so close the tv, with such a sort lead though ;)

by JM

No comments:

Post a Comment