Friday 9 January 2009

Fixing laminate floor boards

We got laminate flooring in the whole of the downstairs of our house.

We have my brother-in-law and father-in-law do most of the work as they had some experience of doing it themselves, mostly my brother-in-law. Thing is he insisted of chipping off the corner bits underneath, maybe that was the right thing to do, I don't know.

Anyways, turns out a floor isn't level. I understand you can use self levelling cememt to level out the floor, but its not easy to use and acheive a level floor.

We have a few scratches, I bought some laminate wax crayon things, which ONLY work on scratched, no gaps as it says on the pack.

The main problem we have is there one area where the floor isn't level and the joins has cracked off underneath and we level with a board which sticks up, typically need the entrance to the room.

The obvious answer is to take up the floor and redo that area, we have a spare box. But as I say the floor isn't 100% level and we don't have experience of levelling a floor.

This board has also got chips out of it, where furniture has caught it and snagged bits out of the edges.

A week ago we had a party and I decided to try and remove some of the loose joins and get some glue and put a heavy weight on it over night to see if I could fix it. I also put a piece of card (the back of an A4 pad in) to try and make the board level with the other.

The next day, somehow the board had risen, I used a sort of no more nails glue, wish I'd used wood glue.

Today I thought I'd have another look at it.

I managed to lift up the board and found a lot of the NMNs was still wet, so I wiped it all up and tried to scrape the rest off. I ended up pulling the whole board out.

Some of the NMNs has dried and I haven't been able to get it all off in the time I have today, also I needed to put the board back as my 3 year old son witll be running round on it soon.

I had a bit of a panic, as I couldn't get the board back, probably because I'd never had it complete lifted out before and the joins were stopping it. I had to remove more joins to get it back. I've not got a board which most sits in the gap, but it has got joins on the most of 2 sides.

So I'm thinking I might just get a new board and remove the joins like the old board and try and glue that down. I'll also need to remove the dried NMNs on the surrounding boards.

I guess I have nothing to loose, also long as I don't use too many of the boards from the spare pack we have. I mean I could always got the whole floor re-do approach later on.

Has anyone got any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment