Saturday 28 June 2008

Writing Help files for software products

For help, I've stuck with the CHM format. It does what I need and is easy to integrate with a .Net application. I must admit though I haven't spent time investigating alternatives and I've just gone with what I know about.

I used to find the process of developing a CHM a bit laborious. I'd use Microsoft FrontPage to generate HTML pages and then use the Microsoft Help Compiler to turn them into a CHM. There were always index files etc. to edit in Notepad. The process wasn't really diffcult, just a bit lengthy. I tend to put pictures into my help files too and maintaining help pictures with overlayed text and pointers in something like Paint .Net is a bit tedious.

Nowadays I use a package called Help & Manual (www.helpandmanual.com). This is a superb, well-rounded package that allows you to write WYSIWYG help in a Microsoft Word like way. Help & Manual also invokes the Help Compiler for you behind the scenes and there are no independent text files with weird formats to edit.

Help & Manual also includes its own image editor that allows you to easily write text and pointers/ arrows in different layers. When screenshots change, all you need do is update the background image and the text and pointers can be reused. This saves me hours and hours of time.

The other thing I like about Help & Manual is that you can generate output in different formats just by making a simple selection from a dropdown.

For example you can generate a PDF document of your help file. This can then be placed on your website for download or made available to users in printed form.

The other output format I use Help & Manual to generate is HTML help. I upload this to my website and it adds about 90 pages to my site - all full of good keywords relating to my applications. Google is also meant to prefer bigger sites so the extra pages might help me look bigger and more information heavy.

Within Help & Manual you can specify common headers for different output formats. For the HTML help I make sure each page links back to the homepage of my site. I also add links in the footer of each help page so that if the help pages are landing pages, a visitor can find their way to the main part of my site.

by ML

2 comments:

  1. Thats interesting.

    Not well thought out at the time, but I wrote my help files in ASP and generated the HTML from them. But I could upload them and chnage the header and footer.

    Like the PDF idea.

    I must admit, it is a pain adding and updating images in the help files.

    How much is that program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was under £200 when I last looked. Not sure now though.

    ReplyDelete