Monday 1 December 2008

Homepage Title Tag: Possible improvements

I've been looking at the title tags on the homepages of both SoftTester and SoftwareLode to see if there's any improvements that can be made to try and get more visitors.

On SoftwareLode, I'm going to shuffle the order of items in the title as the Free Software Downloads phrase isn't attracting any visitors for me. The middle phrase in the title - Free DVD Software - gets me a few visitors though as does the Free Photo Software phrase. The phrase I'm going to try out is "Antivirus Software". This phrase has 550,000 searches a month according to Google's own keyword volume tool. This is much more than either of the other two phrases (DVD/ Photo). I'm also adding an antivirus-software.php page to SoftwareLode to see if that gets visitors.

On SoftTester, two of the phrases in the title might not be doing much to attract traffic - "shareware programs" and "freeware programs". It might be an idea to change these to something else and see if any more visitors arrive. Softtester already has handy links for certain phrases in one of the columns on the homepage. It might be an idea to include these phrases in the homepage title. Here are the search volumes for some of the phrases on the homepage now:

anti virus software: 60, 500

dvd ripper: 90.500

However, these two phrases have higher search volumes:

antivirus software: 550,000

dvd software: 246,000

Note that changing "anti virus" to "antivirus" makes a big difference according to the Google keyword tool.

How about changing the homepage title to:

Free Software Downloads | Antivirus Software | DVD Software

and seeing if any more people hit the homepage?

by ML

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't responded to this message, I wanted to come to some resolution over the leeching, but it doesn't seem like a massive problem at the moment, I hope.

    I hope to makes some changes in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've changed the title tag on SoftwareLode and should
    see if I get more visits for the new anitvirus keywords in
    the next few weeks.

    Traffic is down a lot of softwarelode for some reason.
    SoftTester seems to be creeping back up again slowly.

    ReplyDelete