Tuesday 2 December 2008

Is it worth seasonalising your site?

I've noticed in the past few days that I've had some orders for a couple of products where I previously had none. One of which has that pack license problem which they haven't got back to me about. I'm convinced that these sales must be people buying presents for others for xmas.

With my KMF program, after the first year in erm, 2005 (I think) I put up some halloween stuff and tried to make a drive towards that event. But I didn't get any / many sales from it.

Since then I've never been bothered about setting anything different up for the seasons / holidays. Obviously this would have to be setup in advance and be dynamic, then hopefully I'd be able to use it through-out the year with zero effort.

I'm talking about slight changes in graphics, with snow or pupkins maybe to text, happy holiday etc. I guess there could be quite a lot of events I could do.

The question here is, is it worth it?

As I say I've not done it in the past as I've not thought my program are good enough, but onee day they will be or may just sell without the download. So is it worth the effort?

Thoughts?

by
JM

4 comments:

  1. In terms of your shop sites I think it could be worth it - try selling and promoting jewellery with a seasonal theme for example.

    Not sure about KMF though. Would making it seasonal involve adding a Father Christmas mask template for example and changing the front page to promote it? It might be a bit late to do this now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I hadn't thought of the shop sites, I had just thought about KMF.

    I hadn't thought about going as far as changing the content of the page, I was just thinking about changing some of the graphics.

    But changing the content based on the season could be an idea.

    Yeah too late, how I'm always too late, unless I get the functionality in place I'll never be early.

    I wonder how many events I could cater for, I mean I wonder how many there are :)

    From the point of view of how long it will take google to pick up changes, I guess I wouldn't have to do it to far in advance. From a sales point of view I guess a month before would be about right.

    However I'm not sure what I'd do about a seasonal linking strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you're not late, just early for next Christmas!

    I've no idea how you'd do a seasonal linking strategy. Perhaps seasonal content would be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following on from my existing site layout, that would mean links for xmas jewellery or rodohl earrings etc.

    But I wouldn't what these all year, would I?
    These would be links at the top of site.

    I guess it would be easy enough to dedicate pages to these sort of things.

    ReplyDelete