Thursday 11 December 2008

What to put on a FAQ / Customer Help page?

I think I'm missing a vital feature in my marketing machine.


I recently bought some software, in fact when I think about, my last few software purchases, I've had to look around the site to find certain information before I was ready to buy.


So what things should I have on this page.


- Details about the ordering process, what will happen when they pay.


- I guess in my case what to do with your license key when you get it.


- How soon you will get your license key.


- Volume licensing information.


- What to do if theres a problem, I guess this will just be a link to a contact form, unless I'm describing a specific problem.


- How to get support for the program.


- A list of different contact methods or say that you only accept emails etc.


- Another big thing, which may even need to be on a separate page, comparison between versions, trial vs full etc, I can't believe I've never added one of these before :(


- Any licensing restrictions, I guess I would also mention royalties if I had any to mention here.


- I guess I could also have some tips, how to do certain things.


- Mention future updates / upgrades policy.


- Order form is 100% secure etc


I guess I've always been concerned about having pages with hardly any information on them, but if I use this page for sales and support help, including tips, this page could be very informative and useful.


Thoughts?


by
JM

8 comments:

  1. I was just wondering about a release history page too, or maybe I could put thin on my FAQ page too.

    Looking at Mikes site he has both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess another thing I have thought about doing, but never have, is to upload my help files. I know bother Mike and Blue have testimonials, but I'm a bit thin on the ground for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Release History page on sliqtools is a good place to
    list features that I provide. It works fairly well as a
    landing page.

    The Support page doesn't really work as a landing page
    but when we give people support, if the question has
    already been answered we can direct them to the
    support page. This saves a bit of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - on the testimonials side, i someone says something
    complimentary in an email, we actively chase them for
    permission to use the words on our site. You have to
    work at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep getting Testimonials is hard work, I'm going to send my customers a Christmas Card / Newletter next week and part of that will ask for more Testimonials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rather than jump into this feet first and add some blank pages to all my sites, I reckon I'll build up the pages offline, in google docs then add them when I have some good content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little concerned about having a release history page, I think I'll call it my Whats New page. I know its only a small thing, but it looks less technical and more friendly.

    Maybe I could add some images to give information about my fixes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I started my first FAQ and then moved onto my second, I need five in total. I'm finding on my second that a lot of the content is the same.

    The developer in my pops up and says you should use technology to have one set of information and share them.

    Any ideas how I could do this quickly?

    I don't think I can :(

    ReplyDelete