Tuesday 1 July 2008

Keep Nagging For a Purchase

When I first thought about selling shareware I read all sorts of different advice about how to encourage people to purchase. The problem was that lots of advice conflicted.

One piece of advice I got was never to stop people using the software package, i.e. don't have a trial period. Let them use it forever - maybe one day they'll decide to buy! This is a Winzip kind of scheme - but it hasn't made me purchase Winzip after 3 1/2 years of seeing the nag screen.

The same people who made me paranoid about unlock codes made me paranoid about the Winzip scheme.

In the end I went for a trial period with a nag dialog showing when the package starts. The nag dialog serves 2 purposes - it lets people know I'd like them to purchase and it also lets them know how long they've got left on the free trial.

I've since read that the best strategy is to nag more often, e.g. when the package is closed as well as when it starts. I've also read that long trial periods are useless - if people buy they usually do so within a day or two. I did have a trial period of 60 days initially and found that a fair few people - 50%? - actually waited the whole 60 days before buying so I'm not sure this advice is good.

Any thoughts?

by ML

3 comments:

  1. It definitely depends on the software package as to which route you go with.

    For instance theres no use giving people a 30 day trial for one use software.

    This is my biggest problem with my kids mask factory software, I know people try my software and I believe most un-install straight away. So does this mean they build and print one mask and decide they no longer need it. I do have a 30 days trial, I also limit to 5 printouts, also they only have access the the basic mask pack, or which 5 masks are unavailable.

    Currently with kids mask factory I'm reaching the end, of what I call, a cycle. Around 2 years ago I got stuck, I needed ideas about what direction to take the program, so I found a site called http://forums.indiegamer.com/ which offered advice to shareware game authors from authors. They gave me lots of advice and I've spent all this time following it.
    However I now find myself no further ahead :(

    With my MDBSecure software again, it could be one use software, so I guess I should limit this use, but I don't I've got 30 days.

    Also with Ideaspad I have the same 30 days and no much else.

    Of course I do have nag screens, when my software closes, I used to have a 10 second delay, but authors on IndieGamer advised me not to do this as it annoys people.

    Thinking about my software, I think a increasing crippling approach might be best for Ideaspad. I'm also very kind (I notice you don't have this) I provide a data export on my trial ended screen.

    So your not the only one who should be considering a new approach. it may event be best to have a separate post for each of out programs and discuss functionality etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is without doubt plenty to know about it. I think above are excellent points. Great minds discuss ideas;

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can be a great page. I will certainly be reading this post much more.

    ReplyDelete