Monday 7 July 2008

First Thoughts on Shareware Site Improvements

On SoftwareLode at the moment, the home page has a Featured program at the top. The script for this is a bit wonky though. It selects a program at random but the random number range is very small (1 to 10) and doesn't cover the full range of programs on the site.

In any case, I was considering changing the Featured feature to be a series of 2 or 3 panels that give:

A pick of the day

I would pick a set of good programs on the site and display these randomly for one day at a time. The programs might be those where the authors supplied backlinks for example.

A personal recommendation

This would be a program that I personally recommend after review. The wording for the description would be my own - not the author's. These programs might be those with which I have affiliation.

I'm still thinking these things through. One thing I might do is drop Google Ads from the right column on the homepage and use that for a list of table cells containing further recommended software.

by ML

3 comments:

  1. When I first read this, I didn't have time to reply, but I thought at the time, I doubt he'll keep up with pick of the day and the general maintenance of it.

    The I thought about revenue.

    On other sites they promote everything because of the revenue value.

    Therefore having 'pick of the day' could be the next program we have for 50%+ revenue from an affiliate. Then you don't have to pick software.

    I'll have to have a look at RegNow or whatever its called these days and see what the setup is. I think a lot of affiliates are auto accept. I guess a good place for me to start is to look at those program which affiliate codes above 50% that I have in my database.

    Then once I have enough (not sure what enough is) data I could setup text ads.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say Pick of the day, I don't mean I'll be doing a new pick every day. Maybe it would be better titled Editor's Pick.

    Remember your text ads will point to your own pages. I think your text ads at the moment aren't attractive and you might be better of with a list of recommendations like I propose in the post - you might need to differentiate between paid advertising and things you are yourself recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah text ads will point to my pages, but the program page, would have recommended and the coin on it, that kind of stuff.

    So how would you pick ?

    ReplyDelete