Tuesday 2 September 2008

Some selling strategies

Last days I stumbled upon some smart product selling strategies which I want to share with you.

I was searching for concurrent products from other vendors. As you would expect - time recording software. I found a guy who pretented to be an expert for time recording issues. But instead of selling software on his webpage he offered free handouts which would describe the advantage of time recording and strategies for implementing time recording in companies. At a total different web page and URL, the same guy, offers time recording software .... So, what do you think does he praise in his free handouts on that total different URL?

Advantage: You are collecting addresses of potential buyers.

Another company, another software ... This company announced a contest where the first three winner, gets a free software license of their software. What the people needed to do was writing why they are absolutely wanting to get the software. So the people who wrote the best answers got the free software license. I think that's smart ...

Advantage: You are collecting reasons why people need your software.

By GS

2 comments:

  1. We've (Aaron, Mike and myself) have all got an SEO book I recommended. I says have another site, pretend to be the competing product. But that does sound like a good idea to have a site which says how good your software is.

    I was looking at keywords last night using the adwords link. The keywords which were achievable and had some good traffic where help sites. Sites which don't directly make money, on face value. So this and your approach seem like a good idea to me.

    Although finding keywords which can use to hit the strategy could pose a problem for some strategies / keyword acheivability.

    In all of my programs now, the first screen which appears (except for ideaspad which asks the language) is a newsletter screen. It has a dismiss check box but will show next time if they don't check it.

    I tend to find I get quite a lot of emails.

    However, my biggest problem with this is want to send to these people. I sent a newsletter out once for kmf (kids mask factory) and had no response. I know you send out emails, perhaps you could share your stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like a very good idea in terms of driving traffic interested in your products and gaining feedback.

    I did run a competition about 6 months ago in conjunction with another (20,000 visitors a day) website. The purpose for me was to drive traffic to my site and increase visibility. Unfortunately the competition wasn't as successful as it might have been. I was recommended - and fully agreed with - that the competition would consist of a simple set of 3 questions about my product. I did get a fair bit of traffic but a percentage of the visitors were copycats. The answers got posted on a quiz fan's forum and many of the forum members sent in the answers without visiting me.

    At the moment, I find the best way of getting feedback is to make sales!

    ReplyDelete