Wednesday 21 April 2010

First impressions about iPhone development

The iPhone development language is called objective C and the development environment is called Xcode.

Obj-C, as its commonly abbreviated, is a C derivative language, with all the common syntax and operators available with C,and more, as you'd expect.  My background is mostly VB, but I've done some PHP in the last few years and have found this helpful in learning Obj-C, much of the syntax is the same.

Like other languages these days, there's help and example code to be found on the web. There are also forums where you can ask questions. However, you're expected to have a reasonable understanding of the language. I often find myself being referred to the documentation, which is only natural I guess.

I still need to learn about the framework and common functions.

I have found development of my first app quite slow, I tend to get stuck and unlike other languages I've used recently, am finding it hard to workaround my problems. However, I think this is due to a lack of familiarity with the language.

There still some fundamental concepts I need to learn but I hope I have got past the dip in the learning curve now.

by JM

4 comments:

  1. It's always good to learn new things. Stick with it - I liked
    the look of the draft application you showed me.

    I'd love to be able to get into mobile development too. If I
    get time I'll probably attack it via the Silverlight route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you can use silverlight for mobile development?

    Oh well I've learnt two things about silverlight now, that and that its for web development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can in the sense that you can run a mobile-targetted
    RIA on a Windows phone for example. Silverlight Rich
    Internet Apps (RIAs) blur the distinction between apps
    running in and out of a browser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have windows phones taken off?

    The beauty of the iPhone / iPad is that you have to sell you apps via the iTunes app, where it gets downloaded etc too. So the marketing / selling side of things is limited aka a lot simpler than
    having to have your own web site etc.

    Sure people do have their own websites / blogs, but the main thing is being able to scroll through you apps on the iPhone.

    Kind of what we programmers / shareware developers have been crying out for for years, yes we do just expect to be able to upload our apps somewhere and have them sell. All this marketing malarkey is
    not what we do.

    ReplyDelete