Monday 5 May 2008

Further thoughts on Keyword Heavy Domain Name Sites

I´ve been thinking again about that SEO book I read that recommended buying domains with keywords for your products in the domain name.


I´m still not sure the advice is correct: Should you set up satellite sites with links to your home page, or should you make the sites look like competitors selling rebranded versions of your own products?


On the first point - setting up satellite sites - with links to my "main" homepage - I read somewhere that Google either penalises or ignores duplicate content. If the satellite site didn´t perform well in SERPs would I gain any benefit anyway? Just having a domain with keywords in it won´t make the satellite site perform well - I´ll still have to build backlinks. Do I have the energy, time and money (!) to do this for 2, 3 or 4 more sites?


On the second point, since I sell software products, re-branding isn´t too easy, or at least re-branding in such a way that the product looks different wouldn´t be a quick thing to do.


Instead, maybe I should put keyword heavy URLs within my existing sites and make these pages perform well in SERPS. With a good linking strategy within the site, sub-pages will benefit from any link-building I do for my homepage anyway. For example, one of my PR3 sites has 7 PR2 pages even though these have no links from outside the site itself. If I make URLs like product-keyword.html for my sub-pages these will be "liked" by search engines in the same way as domain names with keywords in them.


Still not sure though, need to think some more....


by ML

1 comment:

  1. I don't like re-branding the software, because as you said, it isn't easy. As second, you might get in trouble because of software patents. But I either don't like satelite sites filled up with trash of keywords. They are only SPAM.

    I think I will buy some satelite domains and redirect them to my main site. Will see if I have success with it.

    ReplyDelete